By the Brothers Grimm
Illustrated by Bernadette Watts
New York: NorthSouth Books Inc., 2026. Picture Book.
If you know me, you know a few things about me. And one of those things is that I have LOVED Cinderella stories ever since I was a little girl. (No really, if you don’t believe me come visit my office where a giant Cinderella quilt hangs on my wall—thanks, Mom!) Anyway, I love a good retelling of Cinderella. And I also love a good classic retelling of Cinderella. And this is one of those.
Although this retelling might not be for the youngest of readers (it is the version where the step-sisters cut off parts of their feet to make their foot fit into the slipper), those who want to read the more traditional (non-Disney) story of Cinderella will find this a great book. And know that the text is a bit lengthy and true to the Brothers Grimm original tale. Also, Watts’ illustrations are beautiful and convey the intricacies of the story well. Those who love Cinderella like I do (and not just the French version with a fairy godmother), will enjoy reading this tale.

Comments