The Bear and the Seed
By Poonam Mistry
Somerville, Massachusetts : Candlewick Studio, an imprint of Candlewick Press, 2026. Picture book.
By Poonam Mistry
Somerville, Massachusetts : Candlewick Studio, an imprint of Candlewick Press, 2026. Picture book.
When the once beautiful forest that is bear's home begins to disappear, bear is filled with sadness. The plants are disappearing, the trees are being cut down, the animals are leaving. However, one day, when Bear finds a seed, he channels his grief into protecting and caring for the seed as he learns and waits patiently for it to grow.
As a librarian who is suppposed to be above such things, I'm ashamed to admit that I judged this book by it's cover, but also glad that I did because The Bear and the Seed is filled to the brim with intricate, beautifully unique illustrations, which are really the highlight of the book. I had a great time perusing the illustrations, and think it would make a lovely lap read with caretaker and child exploring and enjoying the illustrations together. The sweet story of a bear caring for his environment is just the cherry on top.
Comments