She'll Be the Sky
Collected by Ella Risbridger
Illustrated by Anna Shepeta
Collected by Ella Risbridger
Illustrated by Anna Shepeta
Lincoln, MA: Nosy Crow Inc., 2023. Poetry. 141 pages.
I read poetry for the beauty of lyrical words and the romanticizing of the world around me. This book brings both these things in a lovely way. The fact that every poem is written by a woman or girl makes this book feel all the more special to me. I would highly recommend reading the introduction and the afterword of this book. Often I skip right to the poems because that's what I'm there for, but the opening perfectly explains why the selector, Ella Risbridger, feels it is important to have collections of poetry by women. It is written for children and is plain enough for them to understand.
I read poetry for the beauty of lyrical words and the romanticizing of the world around me. This book brings both these things in a lovely way. The fact that every poem is written by a woman or girl makes this book feel all the more special to me. I would highly recommend reading the introduction and the afterword of this book. Often I skip right to the poems because that's what I'm there for, but the opening perfectly explains why the selector, Ella Risbridger, feels it is important to have collections of poetry by women. It is written for children and is plain enough for them to understand.
You'll recognize some names like Amanda Gordon or Emily Dickinson, but there will be many you won't. There will be stories that relate to you and many that don't. These poems are from all women everywhere which means we can learn much from this book. The illustrations are incredible and bring each poem to life, but if you think about the individuals writing these words, that is where you'll find the most magic.
Comments