It is the time of the year when it is fun to read spooky books. And while I cannot stand watching scary movies, I tend to love the middle grade fiction realm of spooky stories. There is just something about a good middle grade novel that has a paranormal/horror touch. Maybe it’s the fact that middle grade fiction is the perfect place to blend reality with imagination. Or maybe it’s because the best fiction I read tends to be the middle grade fiction. Either way, I tend to enjoy the spookiness of these books. However, I know that not every reader is ready for all levels of spooky. So, I have sorted these on a scale of Somewhat Spooky to These Books Will Scare the Socks Off of You! I hope you enjoy these scary tales as much as I did!
Somewhat Spooky
Elizabeth Webster and the Court of Uncommon Pleas by William Lashner
Ghosted by Michael Fry
A Small Zombie Problem by K. G. Campbell
Ready to Be a Bit More Scared
Gloom Town by Ronald L. Smith
Ophie’s Ghosts by Justina Ireland
Watch Hollow by Gregory Funaro
You Must Be Brave to Read This Book
Bone Garden by Heather Kassner
The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet S. Fox
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia
These Books Will Scare the Socks Off of You!
City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab
The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
Small Spaces by Katherine Arden













Comments