Skip to main content

10 King and Queens Who Changed the World


10 King and Queens Who Changed the World
by Clive Gifford
Illustrated by David Cousens
MacMillian Children's Books; 2009; 64 pages


Can you think of 10 kings or queens that changed the world? This question is the main reason that I picked this book up. Some of the rulers found in this book I expected to be in there, some I was surprised they had made the cut, and some I got to learn about for the first time. One that I expected in there was Elizabeth I. One that I was shocked by was the fact that Henry VIII made it in this book. (He actually had other accomplishments other than killing his wives!) One that I wasn’t familiar with was Suleiman the Magnificent, but after this brief overview I can now say I know a little more about him and his reign.

Each ruler has a few pages dedicated to them and their life. The pictures are comic book like pictures. (They are nice, but I think they made Queen Elizabeth I a lot prettier then she really was.) There are also numerous text boxes on each page with other tidbits about the person. While this book wasn’t amazing it was interesting to learn and relearn information about some of the great and powerful people who have made the world what it was today. One person I expected to be in there was King George III because he lost control of the America and lost the Revolutionary War, (which led to the rise of the most powerful nation) but he didn’t make the cut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An ABC of Flowers

An ABC of Flowers   by Jutta Hilpuesch New York, NY : Philomel Books, [2019] It turns out there really is a flower for every letter. This sweet book has a photograph of every flower and  a sweet cartoon illustration to go along with it. All your favorite flowers are here (forget-me-nots, mums, and sunflowers), along with some you probably haven't heard of before (billy ball, kalanchoe, xeranthemum?).  This is a perfect book for reading together, and readers of any age will enjoy every page. Don't miss this great springtime alphabet book. 

From Story Time: The Letter "B"

From Monday Book Babies Bird, Balloon, Bear By Il Sung Na Alfred A. Knopf, 2017.  Picture Book. Bird is new to the forest, and he’s looking for a friend. Bear could use a friend, too. But Bird is too shy to introduce himself. Just as he musters the courage to say hello . . . it’s too late! Bear has already found a friend: a bright, shiny red balloon. Has Bird missed his chance?  From the acclaimed Il Sung Na comes a charming and beautifully illustrated story about courage, kindness, and friendship.  --Publisher From Monday Cuentos El primer dĆ­a de un colegio Texto de Adam Rex Ilustraciones de Christian Robinson Traducción de Teresa Mlawer Editorial Corimbo, 2017.  Spanish Picture Book. Aquel verano, cuando terminaron de construir la escuela Frederick Douglass, el edificio comenzó a hacerse muchas preguntas: ¿CuĆ”l serĆ” mi destino? ¿QuiĆ©n vivirĆ” entre mis paredes? ¿Para quĆ© me utilizarĆ”n? AtravĆ©s de sus conversaciones con el conserje y t...

Display: Teddy's Top Picks

  Bear in the Air Written by Susan Meyers Illustrated by Amy Bates New York : Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2010. Picture book. When a teddy bear is lost by the child who loves him, the bear begins an adventurous journey to get back home again. -- Editor Blanket and Bear, A Remarkable Pair Written by L.J.R. Kelly Illustrated by Yoko Tanaka New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2013. Picture book. When a boy loses his beloved blanket and bear, they travel a great distance to make their way back to him. -- Editor A Bear to Share Written by Jessica Alba, Nora Weinstein, and Kelly Patricof  Illustrated by Alicia Mas New York, NY : Baby2Baby/Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2021. Picture book. Tiana loves her teddy bear, Bach. She doesn't mind that he's a little worn and somewhat torn. So when her mother suggests she make room for a new bear, Tiana can't believe her ears! Will Tiana have to lose the one bear she really loves? Or will she find room in her heart for t...