Skip to main content

Books to Read When.....You Need to Feel Hopeful

September was an interesting month for our family. Typically I get very excited for September! I love fall and the changing colors. When the air starts to feel a little more crisp in the mornings I feel happy. This year, though, September ended up anything but typical. We had a family member in the hospital for nearly the entire month, which definitely made things feel a little bit heavier than usual, and I wasn't able to revel in the changing seasons the way I ordinarily do. On the brighter side of things, I was fortunate to read several picture books that brought me joy and even inspired feelings of hopefulness. You will find five of them listed below.

Written by Jennifer Adams
Illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal
New York, NY : Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2023. Picture Book.

I always love when a cover pulls me in before I even open the book! This cover showing two kids on swings in front of a beautiful sun and sky, with a bright red bird watching them, is only the beginning to a fabulous book. I love how the author and illustrator help guide us through a journey of ordinary events, often repeating the phrase, "all's right with the world." I found this book to be very grounding, and the poetic style was mesmerizing. Children who love to be read to will enjoy helping their grown-ups find the beautiful red bird on each spread. 

By Omileye Achikeobi-Lewis
Berkeley, California : North Atlantic Books, 2021. Picture Book.

This cheerful book talks about mindfulness and the power individuals, including children, can find using meditation and other relaxation techniques when they need to feel calm or hopeful. I find it important to remember that if adults are feeling stressed, it is quite likely the children in their lives are also having a hard time processing some things. This book will be great for anyone who needs help to manage some of the emotions they are feeling.

Written by Jungyoon Huh
Illustrated by Myungae Lee
Grand Rapids, Michigan : Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2025. Picture Book.

This story presents the readers with a dilemma: a sweet kitten that needs rescuing, during a rainstorm, while it is morning rush hour in a busy city. The combination of those factors definitely make it more of a challenge for anyone to intervene. However, this book has a beautiful storyline and a happy ending. I loved that some of the pages have a comic book style to them, as well as a few pages that are wordless. The artwork is gorgeous! It's a beautiful way to look deeper at how each of us reacts to less than ideal circumstances. I adored this book, and hope that you will, too!

Written by Stacey Abrams
Illustrated by Kitt Thomas
New York, NY : Balzer & Bray, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2022. Picture Book.

From the time I was a young child, books have provided me a refuge from many of the storms I encounter in life. Even as a student in elementary school, I was similar to Stacey and loved reading books wherever I went, including at recess. I am pretty certain I would have tried to read in P.E. but I was too afraid of getting in trouble. Which would have then made it even more obvious to everyone that I was an awkward, unathletic kid. That being said, I love how this book provides hope to kids and adults who may feel a little different from their peers. It's a beautiful reminder that there are a variety of ways to seek solace and comfort, and it's okay to try things that maybe you hadn't thought of before as being therapeutic.


The World is a Family
Written by Rosie Adams
Illustrated by Frances Ives
Wilton, CT : Tiger Tales, 2022. Picture Book.

If ever I absolutely HAD to pick a favorite book cover, this one would be on the short list of picture books that I am obsessed with. Truth be told, I wouldn't be able to pick just one because that would be too hard! I love the variety of elements working together in harmony to make this cover incredible; the moon and the stars, the beautiful silhouettes from creatures inhabiting the trees, the lovely shades of blue for the night sky, and then the pop of color for the foxes. As a reader opens the book. they are greeted with journey as the foxes maneuver nature together. There is often a glimpse of humanity in the background, but I really loved the usage of animals as a focal point. The repetition and rhyming are very soothing, and the book does an amazing job illustrating that the world truly is a family.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An ABC of Flowers

An ABC of Flowers   by Jutta Hilpuesch New York, NY : Philomel Books, [2019] It turns out there really is a flower for every letter. This sweet book has a photograph of every flower and  a sweet cartoon illustration to go along with it. All your favorite flowers are here (forget-me-nots, mums, and sunflowers), along with some you probably haven't heard of before (billy ball, kalanchoe, xeranthemum?).  This is a perfect book for reading together, and readers of any age will enjoy every page. Don't miss this great springtime alphabet book. 

Review: The House with Nobody in It

  The House with Nobody in It By Jon Klassen Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press, 2026. Board Book.  The House with Nobody in It may very well be your child's first ghost story. The simple story begins with the narrator explaining to readers that this house used to have someone in it, but there is now nobody there. Toddlers and preschoolers will love contradicting this statement as they peek through the house that the board book forms, as the ghost is clearly visible throughout the story.  This unique and imaginative board book is the perfect thing to read during Halloween season! The book itself plays into the experience, with cutouts and clever turns that make it especially interactive. The illustrations are superb, simple but well crafted, adding to the story's theme as a whole. This will likely be a book that gets many repeat reads!

Display: Teddy's Top Picks

  Bear in the Air Written by Susan Meyers Illustrated by Amy Bates New York : Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2010. Picture book. When a teddy bear is lost by the child who loves him, the bear begins an adventurous journey to get back home again. -- Editor Blanket and Bear, A Remarkable Pair Written by L.J.R. Kelly Illustrated by Yoko Tanaka New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2013. Picture book. When a boy loses his beloved blanket and bear, they travel a great distance to make their way back to him. -- Editor A Bear to Share Written by Jessica Alba, Nora Weinstein, and Kelly Patricof  Illustrated by Alicia Mas New York, NY : Baby2Baby/Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2021. Picture book. Tiana loves her teddy bear, Bach. She doesn't mind that he's a little worn and somewhat torn. So when her mother suggests she make room for a new bear, Tiana can't believe her ears! Will Tiana have to lose the one bear she really loves? Or will she find room in her heart for t...