Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Freckleface Strawberry & the Dodgeball Bully


Freckleface Strawberry & the Dodgeball Bully
By Julianne Moore; illustrated by LeUyen Pham
Bloomsbury, 2009. Unpaged. Picture book.

The first Freckleface Strawberry book was completely captivating; this second book is also charming. Little Freckleface is very, very afraid of getting hit by the dodgeball during class games because she just knows it is going to HURT! It doesn't help matters that the classmate who usually wields the ball is a bigger and stronger than everyone else, either. Freckleface learns, however, to employ her furry, purple, inner monster to help conquer her fears.

This book is a beautiful, endearingly illustrated companion to the original. LeUyen Pham has done a wonderful job with the illustrations, as always, and Julianne Moore has conjured a delightful character who could become a definite literary darling.

2 comments:

2112 said...

I loved the illustrations just as much as I did in the original. I didn't feel the story was as good as the first one. I expected her to stand up and catch the ball after summoning her inner monster. It just seemed a little flat of a story. But I did love the build up to the bully character.

loo said...

I was looking forward to this book, however, I was quite dissapointed with it. The illustrations were cute, but I thought the story line could have been a lot better. I would have liked to see her stick up for herself a little more when playing dodgeball.